Thursday, September 4, 2008

Since when is "community organizer" a laugh line?

I had no intention of watching any part of the Republican National Convention. Watching rich, smug, entitled white assholes pat themselves on the back for ruining our country and clamor for even more power is my personal vision of hell. But unfortunately, our washer and dryer died as a result of our continuing electric problems, and I was forced to go to a laundromat, which is depressing enough, but then they had the RNC on.

I watched about 30 minutes of ignorant-ass Giuliani, and you know, I expect punches to be thrown...both parties freely engage in that. But last night, I saw the Republicans hit a new low (if that's even possible anymore). Last night, I saw thousands of Republicans LAUGH at the idea of being a community organizer. And specifically a community organizer on the South Side of Chicago.

Tell me, what's so hilarious about being a community organizer? Seriously. I'm waiting. Leaving aside the fact that they act like community organizer was the ONLY thing on Obama's resume, I just want to know what's so goddamned funny. The South Side can be rough...in fact, I'm willing to bet that most of the mocking faces last night wouldn't drive through that area in their BMWs with their doors unlocked, let alone actually work there to help people.

To Rudy Giuliani and Sarah Palin, I dedicate Spoon's "The Underdog":

"You got no time for the messenger
Got no regard for the thing
That you don't understand
You got no fear of the underdog
That's why you will not survive."

I'm still too pissed to even contemplate this shit anymore. If McCain/Palin actually win, I think I'm either going to have to emigrate or stick my head in an oven.

--karen

No comments: